Residency Administrator Certificate (Principal and Program Administrator)
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

For questions:
   9:00am-4:30pm - M-W-Th-F
   10:00am-4:30pm - Tuesday
   Contact Us

ESD Fingerprinting locations

Refund Policy

Teachers Administrators ESA CTE


Residency Administrator Certificate
(Principal and Program Administrator)


Washington issues the Residency Administrator Certificate to all first-time applicants for a regular Administrator Certificate.

Please note that Oregon principals and program administrators who completed a CAL program may apply for a Professional (second-tier) Administrator certificate. If the CAL was earned via completion of a doctoral program, the first-tier residency certificate will be issued.

The candidate must have:

  • Earned a master's degree from any accredited college/university.
  • Completed any state's approved college/university administrator preparation program in the administrative role (principal or program administrator).  In-state programs approved by the Professional Educator Standards Board are available through Washington colleges/universities.
    Completed three years successful experience in the appropriate administrative role while holding a regular administrator certificate issued by another state.
  • Principals only: Hold or have held a regular teaching certificate
    OR ESA certificate OR Initial/Continuing CTE certificate
  • Principals only: Verification of three years successful school-based instructional experience in an educational setting.


Please note: The forms 4001E and/or 4020F-1 must be submitted with your application or mailed with your official transcripts. Principals must also include form 4001F.

   Electronic Certification Application



   Updated 9/28/2016

Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA  98504-7200  360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    A-Z Index    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Education Data System (EDS)