Professional Certification FAQ
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

For questions:
   9:00am-4:30pm - M-W-Th-F
   10:00am-4:30pm - Tuesday
   Contact Us

ESD Fingerprinting locations

Refund Policy

Teachers Administrators ESA CTE


Professional Certification FAQ

What is the Professional Certificate for administrators?
All certificated educators in Washington are required to follow a professional path that includes both an entry-level certificate and an advanced second-level certificate, as well as continuing professional development for certificate renewal. The Professional Certificate (ProCert) is the second-tier certificate that follows the entry-level residency certificate.

Administrator ProCert represents the next stage of the state’s move toward performance-based educator preparation programs. Program requirements, which center on completion of a Professional Growth Plan (PGP), are aligned with state and national standards for administrators. For administrators, ProCert offers the opportunity for individualized, job-embedded professional development.

Who is required to earn the Professional Certificate?
Principals and assistant principals who hold a residency principal certificate, and program administrators who hold a residency program administrator certificate, are expected to earn the Professional Certificate.

How much time do I have to complete a ProCert program?
At the time residency certificates are issued, they have no expiration date. Once you serve two years in that role for a Washington public or state-approved private school and sign a contract for a third year, the certificate acquires a five-year expiration date from that point. (For example, if you earned your residency principal certificate in May 2004, and began your first principal job in fall 2005, your certificate would remain undated until June 2007. Its expiration date at that point would be 2012.) In addition, if you are enrolled in a ProCert program at the time your residency certificate is due to expire, you can get an additional two-year extension.

I have a principal certificate but am currently serving as an assistant principal. Does that count toward my “two years in the role?”

I have a program administrator certificate. How does the expiration date apply to me?
The same rules apply. Once you serve two years in the role, your certificate acquires a five-year expiration date. Note: Because the program administrator certificate is not required for any specific administrative job, the role is not as clearly defined as the principalship. In general, program administrators are considered to be those who direct staff members and/or manage a function, a program, or a supporting service in a school or district (includes administrative assistants, directors, supervisors, and coordinators of school or district-wide programs).

I have a principal residency certificate, but I’m currently serving as a program administrator in the district. How does this affect my expiration date?
It has no impact. Because you’re serving in a role for which the principal certificate is not required, the certificate will remain undated as long as you keep your current position.

I received a residency principal certificate in 2004; why does it show an expiration date?
The residency certificate was originally designed as a five-year certificate, and some of certificates issued early in the process do show an expiration date. However, you can exchange the dated certificate for one with no expiration date.

Who is eligible to enter a ProCert program?
Anyone who has served two years in the role and who currently holds a contract for a third year for which the certificate is appropriate. Thus, if you have served two years as a principal and/or assistant principal, and you sign a contract for a third year as principal or assistant principal with a Washington public or state-approved private school, you are eligible to enter a program.

There is an important exception to the “in the role” requirement. Administrators holding a residency principal certificate, but working as a program administrator in a Washington school district, state-approved private school, or state agency providing education services to children, may enroll in an administrator ProCert program to earn a professional program administrator certificate.

In this situation, enrollment is not required. The principal certificate will remain undated until completion of two years as a principal and a signed a contract for a third year in a Washington school district, state-approved private school, or state agency providing education services to children.




   Updated 3/3/2016

Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA  98504-7200  360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    A-Z Index    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Education Data System (EDS)