Disagreements and Complaints about Special Education - OSPI
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image


Special Education
Special Education   >   Families   >   Disagreements and Complaints about Special Education

Disagreements and Complaints about Special Education
Dispute Resolution Options

When you and the school district are unable to resolve differences about the contents of your student’s IEP, the first step is to try to resolve the issues informally by clearly communicating your concerns to the IEP team and to the school district’s representative. It is the responsibility of the district to make a final offer of what they believe to be a Free Appropriate Public Educational (FAPE) for your student. The district is required to communicate their final offer with Prior Written Notice.

If you believe the district has failed to provide a service identified on your student’s IEP, believe that the district has denied your student a FAPE, or believe the district has not met any other federal or state requirements related to special education, then you may consider using one of three more formal dispute resolution options in order to resolve your disagreement. Your options are:

Visit the Special Education Dispute Resolution page for further details on each of these options.

Questions about your dispute resolution options can be directed to the Special Education Parent Liaison

   Updated 4/11/2014

Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA  98504-7200  360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    A-Z Index    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Education Data System (EDS)