The Legislative Youth Advisory Council (LYAC) helps bridge legislators and youth in Washington to bring awareness of issues impacting youth across the state. LYAC is as an official advisory council administered and coordinated by OSPI. Our lawmakers agree that the distinct needs of young people in Washington must be a priority.
LYAC is a group of 22 students, aged 14-18, from all corners of Washington and all walks of life.
Each member serves a two-year term. Here’s a look at LYAC's work:
- Meet up to four times per year in Olympia.
- Hold monthly conference calls to discuss projects and goals.
- Hold an annual Action Day to meet with legislators and testify on
important youth-related bills.
- Advocate for youth-related bills. In 2013, our lobbying efforts helped
move three bills to be passed into law!
- Partner with youth groups and organizations.
- Share our news and engage with others on
- Produce annual reports.
To learn more about LYAC and how to get involved, visit