The 2018 Legislature appropriated $2,000,000 solely to address unexpected and imminent health and safety hazards at K–12 public schools, including Skill Centers, that will impact the day-to-day operations of the school facility.
Districts must invoke an emergency declaration/resolution signed by the school district board of directors and submitted to the Office of Superintendent of Instruction.
- The directors of the skill center cooperative must initiate a letter detailing the emergency to the host district
- The host district must invoke an emergency declaration/resolution signed by the school district board of directors and submitted to the Office of Superintendent of Instruction.
Emergency Declaration/Resolution Must Include (in Accordance with Proviso Language):
- Description of the imminent health and safety hazard.
- The possible cause of the problem.
- Proposed scope of emergency repair work.
- Related cost estimate.
- An identification of local funding to be applied to the project.
- Acknowledgment that this grant will be repaid with any insurance
payments or judgments that may be awarded to the district.
Example of an Emergency Declaration/Resolution
The above information may be included as attachments to the emergency declaration as long as the attachments are identified in the declaration.
All requests for funding will be reviewed. OSPI will determine eligibility and whether the application is approved or denied. Districts may be requested to submit more information upon request.
Districts Should Consider Applying if:
- The district does not have sufficient operating or capital funds to
adequately address the health and safety hazard, and;
- The emergency will likely result in the immediate physical injury to
persons or property in the absence of prompt remedial action, or;
- The facility would suffer material damage if repair was delayed until
addressed by preventative or routine maintenance, or;
- The facility cannot be safely occupied by students and educational
Scott Black, Program Development Manager
email@example.com or 360-725-6268
Submit all emergency declarations and accompanying documents to
SSB6090 section 5001
RCW 28A.335.190 (6) Emergency declaration–exemption to public works