The application for private school approval is reviewed by OSPI and then
submitted to the State Board of Education for approval. All initial application materials need to be submitted to OSPI by March 11, 2017. The May State Board meeting will be the only opportunity for approval of new schools (WAC 180-90-130).
The Application Process
- The principal, chief school administrator, or superintendent of the private school district completes the forms (see below), along with a brief synopsis of the curriculum taught at each grade level and a student/parent/faculty handbook outlining policies of the school. This information is
Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
Office of Private Education
Old Capitol Building
PO Box 47200, Room 320E
Olympia, WA 98504-7200
Phone: 360-725-6433 or Fax 360-664-0256
TTY: (360) 664-3631
When sending the materials, remember the following:
- The materials do not need to be sent FedEx, overnight express,
or UPS. A postmark on or before the due date is sufficient.
- Do not place the application in a binder or presentation cover—it is not
necessary as the materials are placed in individual folders by school name.
- The description of the curriculum to be used at each grade level should
be brief—not more than a paragraph or two per grade.
- OSPI staff will review the application materials. Schools that meet minimum standards defined in Chapter 28A.195 RCW and Chapter 180-90 WAC will be recommended for approval by the State Board of Education (SBE). The SBE will take action on the 2017–18 school year approval of private schools at
its May 2017 meeting. A review of the application materials must be completed 60 days prior to the State Board of Education meeting.
- A certificate of approval is sent to the school following action by the State Board of Education.
- Schools with minor or major deviations will be notified of such deviations and will be given an opportunity to respond to such findings (WAC 180-90-130 [4-5])
or to complete a plan of action (POA) of a major deviation(s) if necessary.
Download the Entire Application Packet
The entire application packet is available as a PDF download. It includes full instructions, all required forms, and the full text of each statute and regulation that applies to private schools in Washington state.
Download the Individual Forms
You can also download the individual forms that appear in the packet:
Links to Statutes and Regulations