is a comprehensive, integrated model of services that fosters safe school environments, promotes healthy childhood development and prevents alcohol, tobacco, and other drug abuse.
SAPISP supports the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction's mission to
ensure the success of all learners through safe, civil, health, and engaging
The SAPISP, operated by OSPI, places Student Assistance Specialists in schools to implement comprehensive student assistance programs that address problems associated with substance use and other at-risk behaviors.
Specifically, the SAPISP:
- Provides early alcohol and other drug prevention and intervention services to students and their families.
- Assists in referrals to treatment providers.
- Strengthens the transition back to school for students who have had problems of alcohol and other drug abuse.
Services may include:
- Screening for high-risk behaviors.
- Consultation for parents and staff.
- Referrals to community services.
- Case management with school team.
- School-wide prevention activities.
- Professional consultation services.
- Informational workshops for parents, school staff, and community members.
StartTalkingNow.org - Resources for talking to your kids about substance use
- To provide early drug and alcohol prevention and intervention services to students
- To provide high quality prevention and intervention programs to support a safe learning environment for all students
- To develop collaborative relationships with treatment agencies to better serve students