Aviation High School is the only college preparatory, aerospace/aviation-themed high school in the Northwest. Our goal is to be the premier school of choice for science, technology, engineering and math in the region and recognized throughout the country as a scalable Lighthouse Model of STEM Excellence. Our mission is to prepare students for further education and training beyond high school and to become contributing citizens through a personalized, rigorous, and relevant learning experience that is facilitated in the context of aviation and aerospace. We realize our vision and mission through the following bold, unique, and innovative practices:
- Project based learning to solve authentic workplace problems
- Industry experts help inform curriculum, assess student work, host tours of their workplace, and sponsor college visitations.
- Maintaining high expectations for student learning””all students meet or exceed college admission standards and demonstrate workplace competency.
- A school culture that is defined by “sports of the mind’ in which students apply their learning in core content areas and learn to be good team players and role models. Examples: Robotics & Science Olympiad
- An outstanding staff with deep content knowledge in the subjects taught and work experiences outside of education
- A Board of Directors whose membership includes aviation and aerospace leaders and representatives from higher education. These members actively shape the culture, vision, and future of Aviation High School through direct financial contributions and personal/professional involvement with staff and students. Most significant is their active leadership with our capital campaign which has led to $16 million in private donations and $3.9 million from the legislature toward construction of a new school located at the Museum of Flight- open in 2013.