Programs and Schools
is funded through the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Indian Education.
- Designed to address the unique education and culturally related academic needs of American Indian and Alaska Native students, including preschool children, so that these students can achieve to the same challenging state performance standards expected of all students.
- Grant funds supplement the regular school program.
- Funds support such activities as after-school programs, enrichment programs, tutoring, and dropout prevention.
- 69 Title VII Indian Education Programs were funded within Washington state during the 2009-10 school year.
- For information regarding this and other grant programs available to Indian students, visit the USDE Office of Indian Education.
is funded through the Department of Interior’s Bureau of Indian Education Office.
- Purpose: To financially assist those efforts designed to meet the specialized and unique educational needs of eligible Indian students, including programs supplemental to the regular school program and school operational support, where such support is necessary to maintain established State educational standards.
- Eligible Students: Indian students, from age 3 years through grade(s) 12, except those who are enrolled in Bureau or sectarian operated schools, shall be eligible for benefits provided by a contract pursuant to this part if they are 1/4 or more degree Indian blood and recognized by the Secretary as being eligible for Bureau services. Priority shall be given to contracts (a) which would serve Indian students on or near reservations and (b) where a majority of such Indian students will be members of the tribe(s) of such reservations.
- There are seven BIE contract Tribal schools within Washington State.
- More information is available at Justia.com or by contacting the Bureau of Indian Education’s Seattle office at (206) 220-7978.
Lummi Nation Schools (K-12) Cooperative Agreement with Ferndale S.D
Bernie Thomas, Director of Education
2334 Lummi View Drive
Bellingham WA 98226-9277
FAX (360) 758-4303
Muckleshoot Tribal School (K-5) Cooperative Agreement with Enumclaw S.D.
Michael Aaron, Superintendent/Principal
15599 SE 376th Street
Auburn WA 98092
FAX (253) 939-2922
Paschal Sherman Indian School (K-9) Cooperative Agreement with Omak S.D.
Debbie Simpson, Superintendent
169 North End Omak Lake Road
Omak WA 98841
(Colville Confederated Tribes)
(509) 422-7590 FAX (509) 422-7538
Puyallup Tribal School System (K-12)
Chief Leschi Schools (650) Cooperative Agreement with Puyallup S.D.
Ray Lorton, Superintendent
5625-52 Street East
Puyallup WA 98371
FAX (253) 445-2350
Quileute Tribal School (K-12) Cooperative Agreement with Quillayute Valley S.D.
Jonathan Claymore, Superintendent
PO BOX 39
LaPush WA 98350
FAX (360) 374-9608
Wa He Lut Indian School (K-8)/ Cooperative Agreement with N. Thurston S.D.
Harvey Whitford, Principal
11110 Conine Avenue SE
Olympia WA 98503
(Nisqually Community/ Franks Landing)
FAX (360) 456-1319
Yakama Nation Tribal Jr. /Sr. High School (8-12) Cooperative Agreement with Wellpinit S.D.
Lisa LaCroix, Superintendent
PO BOX 151
Toppenish WA 98948
(509) 865-5121 Ext. 4516
FAX (509) 865-6092