CEDARS Guidance — Report Gifted Values
Updates to the 2013–14 CEDARS Data Manual (V 6.3) affect data reporting on File I — Student Attributes and Programs — for gifted students. These changes to the Gifted Values and Exit Codes improve the alignment between the requirements for program reporting and amended
state law —
RCW 28A.185 and
Changes to State Law Impact Highly Capable Programs
Changes to RCWs 28A.185 through
requirements for programs that serve highly capable students into Washington’s Basic Education Act.
Special Service Program—Highly Capable Students align Washington’s
administrative code with these legislative changes.
- Title 28A RCW Common School Provisions indexes the statutes that govern public education in Washington.
New Gift Values
The new Gifted Values to be assigned to Identified HCP Students who received services/participated in a program at any point during the 2013–2014 school year include:
- 32—Gifted—services or programs provided in the regular classroom
Student receives services in the regular classroom through options such
as cluster grouping, enrichment, differentiated instruction, etc.
33—Gifted—services or programs provided in a unique highly
Student receives services in a learning environment unique
to the highly capable program such as self-contained classroom,
multi-age classroom, pull-out services, or part-time grouping
outside the regular classroom, etc.
- 34—Gifted—services or programs provided through acceleration
Student receives services through access to accelerated
curriculum or instruction such as advanced subject placement,
grade level advancement, early entrance or access to college
level coursework, etc.
- 35—Gifted—services or programs provided outside the traditional school
Student receives services provided outside the regular classroom such as
mentorships, collaborative partnerships with industry, cooperative
arrangements with ESD/higher education/other districts, competitions, summer
A student served in the district’s Highly Capable Program should be reported with one (or more) of the gifted codes, depending on services provided, until they have been exited from the Highly Capable Program.
Indicate a start date for the date the student begins receiving services or is placed in the Highly Capable Program.
Report students by the initial date a student first began in the program across school years and the date a student exits from the program and is no longer receiving services.
Students may be reported with more than one Gifted valid value based on the services received. A separate record must be created for each Gifted value assigned to a student. In this instance, the student will appear with more than one record within File I.
For students re-entering the district HCP after a formal exit from the program, assign a new record and new start date.
If a student is exited from the program, report the exit date in Element I08—Program Exit Date, and the appropriate exit reason code in Element I09.
Allowable Exit Codes for the HCP
Exit codes have been aligned to program requirements for providing a Grades K–12 continuum of services to an identified HCP student from point of placement in program. A district is to use the Exit code that corresponds to the reason a student is exited from the district’s HCP.
If a district’s policy or SIS restriction requires the district to exit students at the end of each school year for year-end transition purposes, use Exit Code H—End-of-school year transition for Element I09. Checks and balances should be in place to ensure that the appropriate students are reported as re-entering at the start of the new school year.
The following exit codes may be used for identified HCP students:
- C—No longer enrolled
- D—Opted out of program (student/parent/guardian withdrew from program)
- H—End of school year transition
- I—Student no longer qualifies for gifted program services based upon multiple objective assessment results (only for use with Gifted Programs)
- J—Program service no longer available due to change in RCW 28A.185 and WAC 392-170
- K—Parent/Guardian/Student declined services for this year only
Retired Gift Values
The following Gifted Values have been retired and are no longer used:
- 3—Gifted—services or program funded by state Highly Capable Program funds
- 28—Gifted—services or program funded by district or other local funds
- 29—Gifted—services or program funded by combination of state, district and/or local funds