Certificate of Academic/Individual Achievement
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

For questions:



Graduation Requirements

Certificate of Academic/Individual Achievement

The Certificate of Academic Achievement (CAA) and Certificate of Individual Achievement (CIA) tell families, schools, businesses and colleges that an individual student has mastered a minimum set of reading, writing and math skills by graduation. State law (RCW 28A.655.061) dictates the assessment graduation requirement.

The CIA is for students with an Individualized Education Program (IEP). As 10th graders, students in special education programs can earn a CIA by passing the Basic option (passing with a score of Level 2 or higher) or via the WAAS-Portfolio. In grades 11 and 12, students who have not yet earned a CIA may also use the Developmentally Appropriate Proficiency Exam (DAPE), which allows students to take the HSPE at a grade level that best matches their abilities.

Please see www.WAtesting.com for testing requirements by graduating class.

In addition to passing state exams, students can meet their assessment graduation requirements by passing state-approved alternatives, or Certificate of Academic Achievement Options. To learn more about CAA Options.

Requirements to earn a high school diploma

Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA  98504-7200  (360) 725-6000  TTY (360) 664-3631
Contact Us    |    A-Z Index    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Education Data System (EDS)