GATE Partnership Advisory Committee
The GATE Partnership Advisory Committee is a broad base of youth and family serving agencies and organizations that meets quarterly to provide a wide lens of input on specific goals and topics related to the development and implementation of a dropout prevention, intervention and reengagement system across cradle to career milestones.
Interested groups and individuals should attend a meeting or contact us at
December 6 - ESD 113 Olympia
Mental Health Systems: Getting Started
Through Graduation: A Team Effort Initiative (GATE), OSPI is working with Project Aware, school, ESD, and community partners to raise awareness of the importance of mental health, as well as promote promising practices for getting started and maintaining a school mental health system.
Please join us for this 3-hour workshop focused on addressing mental health. Topics include:
Current research on mental health
Mental health definitions
Mental health data
District/School/Community Panel Discussion:
- How they got their system started and how they've changed over time
- Strategies that are working and measures of success
- Barriers to sustaining their systems
- Where they are heading next
Please contact us at TeamEffort@k12.wa.us with questions.
+ September 15, 2014: Attendance
Attendance is an equity issue. Absenteeism is a symptom. Addressing the root causes requires supports both in the school and the community.
+ June 2, 2015: Transitions
Transitions can be multi-dimensional and complex for youth, families and systems. For students, especially those with challenges, transitions can also be an easy spot to disengage. How we plan for and support youth through transitions can directly affect student achievement.
+ March 10, 2015: Student and Adult Engagement
- Agenda (PDF)
- Healthy Youth Survey (PDF)
- Results from the 2014 Healthy Youth Survey. Trends in substance use, risk and protective factors, and how these correlate with academic performance.
- Boys and Girls Club (PDF)
- A presentation featuring B&G clubs of Thurston County and B&G Club of South Puget Sound. The presentation includes elements of engagement, aligning outcome measures with partner schools, aligning supports to meet those goals.
+ June 4, 2013
- Graduation Rates (PDF)
Deb Came, OSPI
- Healthy Youth Survey (PDF)
Linda Becker, DSHS/DBHR
- GATE Progress and Structure (PDF)
Dixie Grunenfelder, OSPI and GATE Backbone Members
- Open Doors 1418 Youth Reengagement (PDF)
Sue Furth, OSPI
- Early Warning Indicator Workgroup (PDF)
Sue Furth, OSPI, and Judy Hall, DSHS
- Dropout Prevention, Intervention, and Reengagement Inventory (PDF)
Ron Hertel, OSPI, and Rhett Nelson, OSPI
+ March 5, 2013
- ERDC on the Educational Outcomes and Beyond (PDF)
A briefing on the P20 for K12 reports, also known as the high school feedback reports, and how those are used at the building level. Additionally an Overview of the postsecondary enrollment research brief and other ERDC projects. Katie Weaver-Randall, Office of Financial Management.
- Ready for Life?
How Career and Technical Education, 21st Century Skills, and Worksite learning tie together to lead students to post graduation success. Bryan Erickson, Evergreen Public Schools
- The Role of Internships in Dropout Prevention (PDF)
A chance to learn about the PASS Act-funded Opportunity Internship Program administered by the Workforce Training Board. Mike Brennan, Workforce Training Board.
- The Keys to Student Success: Attendance Matters (PDF)
An overview of the efforts in Franklin Pierce School District to align data and school policy, and the positive results they are seeing in student outcomes. Wendy Dolan, School Counselor, Elmhurst Elementary, Franklin Pierce School District.