OSPI is the agency responsible for overseeing K-12 public education in
Washington state. Within OSPI, the Equity and Civil Rights Office provides
technical assistance to school districts, parents and students with issues
related to state and federal nondiscrimination laws.
Understanding How to Make a Complaint of Unlawful Discrimination With Your
School District (PDF) is a two-page, full-color flyer that schools and districts can distribute to parents.
The flyer is available in several languages:
The flyer answers these frequently asked questions:
- What is Discrimination?
- What is a Protected Class?
- What should I do if I believe my child is being discriminated against?
- Who can I contact for help?
- What if I can't resolve the problem with the School?
- What if I don't agree with the decision?
- How do I file an appeal?
- What will OSPI do?