Green Ribbon Schools
The U.S. Department of Education’s Green Ribbon Schools Program celebrates schools and districts
making significant progress towards:
- Pillar 1: Reducing environmental impact and costs.
- Pillar 2: Improving the health and wellness of schools, students, and
- Pillar 3: Providing effective environmental and sustainability education, incorporating STEM, civic skills, and green career pathways.
Schools and districts complete an online application. A state committee scores
completed applications. The state may nominate up to four schools or districts.
Public and private schools are eligible to apply however only one private school
may be nominated. The state committee also selects schools and districts that
excel in one or more of the pillars as Washington State Green School and
OSPI forwards state finalists to the U.S. Department of Education (US-ED). US-ED chooses national award recipients from this group.
Public, private schools and public districts are eligible.
2015-2016 Green Ribbon Schools and District Applications are now open. Deadline
for submission is January 8, 2016.
State finalists and national award recipients may attend several statewide
events, will receive an award and join a state team of green leaders. US-ED
invites national award recipients to a ceremony in Washington DC.
The Green Ribbon Schools program is ambitious. You should apply if you meet some benchmarks and are making significant progress towards meeting others.
September: OSPI launches application.
January 8: Applications due to OSPI.
February 1: OSPI submits state finalists to US-ED.
April 22: US-ED announces national award recipients.
Summer 2016: US-ED hosts national award ceremony.
For more information, please contact Washington’s program coordinator Sultana Shah.
US Department of Education 2015 Green Ribbon School and District Awardees:
- Image Elementary, Evergreen Public Schools
- Hillcrest Elementary, Oak Harbor School District
- Discovery Elementary, Mukilteo School District
- Tahoma School District, Maple Valley
Washington State 2015 Green School and District Leader Awardees:
- Gaiser Middle School, Vancouver School District (Pillars 1 and 2)
- Westwood Elementary, Enumclaw School District (Pillar 2)
- Issaquah School District (Pillars 1 and 3)
Previous award winners