Resources for Parents, Educators, and Providers
- State-funded Full-day Kindergarten Requirements: These are the components that are to be included in state-funded full-day kindergarten classrooms.
- WaKIDS: Extensive information regarding the Washington Kindergarten Inventory of Developing Skills (WaKIDS).
- Professional Development and Technical Assistance:
- Full-Day Kindergarten Professional Development: Modules for kindergarten teachers. OSPI has developed three professional development modules for kindergarten teachers that cover Child Development, the Kindergarten Learning Environment, and Learning Centers. The trainings are being offered at Educational Service Districts and school districts may send trainers to trainer-of-trainer workshops. For more information, contact Karma Hugo at email@example.com or the Full-day Kindergarten Coordinator in your ESD.
- Kindergarten Guides
- Other Useful Information
Kindergarten Eligibility State Law
State Guidelines and Standards
- Early Numeracy Pathway, OSPI, in collaboration with the ESDs, has created an early numeracy “pathway” for child from birth through grade 3 that is a great tool for early learning and K-3 teachers when providing instruction in early mathematics.
School Districts and Preschool
- The Department of Early Learning, OSPI, and the ESDs hosted a K-20 video conference on expanding preschool opportunities for children within school districts in January 2014.
The video conference provided an opportunity for school district staff and early learning providers to explore how school districts can support preschool providers in their communities and, when it makes sense, how school districts might expand preschool programs operated by their districts. The videoconference included examples of how school districts have supported community preschools, how districts have blended state and federal resources to operate preschools, and information about the availability of additional ECEAP slots beginning in the 2014-15 school year.
Potential Funding Sources for School District-operated Preschool Programs (PDF)
Special Services for Young Children (0–3 Years)
Early Learning STEM