In the 2013–2014 school year, assessments for reading and writing remain separate for the Measurements of Student Progress and the High School Proficiency Exam. Beginning in the 2014–2015 school year, the Smarter Balanced assessment will use one performance task and one summative assessment, which are aligned to the Common Core State Standards.
Reading Assessment includes:
- Measurements of Student Progress for grades 3-8
- High School Proficiency Exam
- Note: State law also requires a diagnostic Second Grade Reading Assessment.
Writing Assessment includes:
- Grade 4 Writing assessment
- Grade 7 Writing assessment
- High School Writing assessment
Smarter Balanced Assessment, aligned to the Common Core State Standards, is administered in grades 3–8 and grade 11. It includes:
- Summative, computer-based tests (one per year)
- Performance task (one per year)
- Optional interim tests