Washington State Mathematics and ELA Fellows
Teacher Leaders in Mathematics and English Language Arts
What is a Math or ELA Fellow?
The Washington Mathematics and English Language Arts Fellows are teacher leaders who support district mathematics or ELA improvement efforts. Each regional ESD will support a cadre of leaders (building on existing opportunities that currently engage teacher leaders) as part of a state-wide Fellows Network that will engage in common learning opportunities.
The mission of the Fellows is to gain common knowledge and expertise and provide leadership and support within individual school districts. Their goals include significantly impacting teaching and learning aligned with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and ultimately increasing student achievement in mathematics and English Language Arts.
Those chosen will continue the work completed by the initial cadre of Fellows (54 Mathematics Fellows and 10 members of the Statewide Literacy Team).
The Vision and Purpose
- Develop a deep understanding of CCSS-M or CCSS ELA and supporting tools to determine the quality of instructional materials and resources;
- Identify high-leverage practices that support the instructional shifts required for implementation of the CCSS-M or CCSS ELA;
- Build teacher leader capacity in Mathematics and English Language Arts (ELA) across all regions in Washington;
- Support district implementation of CCSS-M or CCSS ELA;
- Create a state-wide system of supports grounded in a consistent educator network that provides access to implementation resources across the regions;
- Create a platform for teacher voice to inform statewide implementation efforts;
- Build on existing opportunities that engage teacher leaders within each region.
2013-2014 Math/ELA Fellows
Statewide Math Kick-Off Webinar
October 23, 2013 4:00 - 5:00 PM
Recording (WMV) |
Washington English Language Arts Fellows "Kick-Off" Webinar
October 29, 2013 4:00 - 5:00 PM
- Fellows will be chosen at the regional level from qualified applicants
- Districts are responsible for funding travel, sub costs, etc. for Fellows work.
- Please see the application for further information, including time commitments.
The map below represents Mathematic and English Language Arts Fellows throughout Washington State.