Child Nutrition


Child Nutrition Services administers a variety of grant opportunities throughout the year. Those new to writing a grant are encouraged to review the Grant Writing tip sheet and the new Grant Writing Tips Webinar to learn how to submit the best possible proposal.

All grants offered through Child Nutrition are submitted in iGrants. A brief introduction to iGrants is provided here: Using the iGrants System for CNS Grants

NSLP Equipment Assistance Grants - Applications accepted in the fall
Washington State receives funds as part of the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) Equipment Assistance Grants. These funds will allow local education agencies (LEAs) to purchase equipment to serve healthier meals that meet the updated meal patterns, with emphasis on serving more fruits and vegetables in school meals, including items purchased locally, improving food safety, and expanding access. Funds must be focused on equipment that improves the quality of school meals. In addition, they may be focused on equipment that improves the safety of food served, improves the overall efficiency of school food service operations, and improves or expands participation in the NSLP or School Breakfast Program (SBP).

  • 2017-18 NSLP Equipment Assistance Grants – Awarded March 20, 2018. Schools have until September 30, 2019 to fully expend their award amounts. Schools that have completed their purchases are encouraged to release unliquidated award balances to OSPI CNS. We can then reallocate these amounts to the next available school on the competitive list.
  • History of NSLP Equipment Assistance Grant Awardees

Breakfast Meals for Kids Grants - Applications accepted in the fall
The Washington State Legislature provides funds for annual competitive grants available to public school districts to: start a breakfast program, increase participation in an established breakfast program, or implement an alternative breakfast delivery model such as breakfast in the classroom.

Summer Meals for Kids Grants (Form Package 412):
The Washington State Legislature provides funds to assist Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) sponsors in starting new summer meal programs, increasing participation, improving meal quality or improving equipment or small supplies used in the program.

  • 2018 Summer Meals for Kids Grant - Now accepting grant proposals
    • Due Date/Time: Thursday, April 12, 2018, before 3:00 PM
    • All grant proposals must be submitted in form package 412 in iGrants, the OSPI grant management system.
    • Late and incomplete submissions will not be considered for funding.
  • History of Summer Meals for Kids Grants Awardees

USDA Farm to School Grants
The USDA Farm to School Grant Program assist eligible entities in implementing farm to school programs that improve access to local foods in eligible schools. FY 2017 grants are due by December 8, 2016.

Other Organizations offering Grants for Child Nutrition Programs

Grant writing resources


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; fax: (202) 690-7442; or email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

   Updated 4/30/2018

Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA    98504-7200    360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Privacy Policy