Partners and programs are a key factor in the state’s successful support of candidates. Nine universities and several school districts hire NBCTs as facilitators to support candidates through the certification process. Complete
cohort lists will be available in early Fall – approved support providers are being added daily.
- OSPI Approved Support Providers
(download all universities and districts with details)
- School districts (download
a list of districts that provide any type of support for candidates and NBCTs)
*Please note that listed districts may or may not be on the approved support provider list
Candidates that receive the OSPI Washington State Conditional Loan are required to join one of the previously mentioned OSPI-approved support providers, though all candidates are strongly encouraged to meet regularly with a cohort.
The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards recognizes Washington as a model state in recruitment, retention and support of candidates. Their report stated:
- Washington has ninth highest applicant volume in country.
- The data supports the idea that Washington is a model state in terms of low attrition rate, high candidate volume, high quality candidate support and quality mentor training (as evidenced by the high achievement rate for first-time candidates).
- Washington has the lowest attrition rate in the country (9 percent).
- The attrition rate for candidates in Title I schools is much lower than that for non-Title I schools.