Residency Out-of-State
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

< Teacher Certificate Main Page < Out-of-State Applicants

Residency Teacher

This application is for those educators who have completed a teacher preparation program through an accredited institution or have held a full teaching credential in another state.



  • Completion of a bachelor's degree or higher. Must submit official transcripts showing degree
  • Completion of any state's approved teacher preparation program through an accredited institution, or an approved alternate route program, or three years of full-time, out of state teaching experience. The preparation program must include a defined course of study and a supervised student teaching/internship. Complete the form which applies and submit at the time of application Form 4020E, 4020E-1, 4020F-1
  • Must pass a basic skills test (WEST-B or approved alternative) and a content area test for each endorsement sought (WEST-E or approved alternative). Teacher Testing Assessments
  • Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required, if a valid certificate is not already on record

NOTE: Foreign Trained/Out of Country for additional requirement information.


If you have all necessary documentation to apply for this certificate, login to: E-Certification

*IMPORTANT: Please note that application fees are NOT refundable. Ensure that you select and submit the correct application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact our office.

click to apply for certification

Need Assistance Icon


   Updated 5/23/2018

Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA    98504-7200    360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Privacy Policy