Washington offers a bonus to all eligible K-12 public school NBCTs. Eligibility requirements can be found in
Both the NBCT “base” bonus and the “challenging schools” bonus remain intact in the 2013-2014 Washington State budget.
- Teachers who hold a valid certificate from NBPTS for the
entire duration of the 2013-2014 school year will receive an annual bonus of $5,090.
- Teachers who attain a valid certificate from NBPTS during the 2013-2014 school year will receive 60% of the annual bonus of $5,090 for a total of $3,054.
- Teachers in qualifying challenging schools will receive an additional bonus up to $5,000. This additional bonus is based on the teacher’s percentage of time spent at the qualifying challenging school. WAC 392-140-973(3) provides additional guidance on eligibility criteria.
Bonus Eligibility, Appeals and Apportionment (Word)
More information is available in OSPI Bulletin 061-13: 2013-14 NBPTS Standards Certification and Challenging Schools Bonuses.
NBCT Bonus Information Form (PDF)
Complete the form for EACH school that you have a teaching assignment with and return it to your Human Resources office. If you have any questions please direct them to those within your HR office.
A list of schools designated as "challenging" for the National Board bonus.
Effective beginning with the 2010 – 2011 school year
- Principals and vice principals who hold a valid certificate from the National Board are no longer eligible to receive a bonus.
Effective beginning with the 2011 – 2012 school year
- Teachers who attain a valid certificate during the current school year will receive sixty percent of the annual bonus of $5,090 for a total of $3,054 to be paid in a lump sum amount. This is for the first year of the bonus only; and newly certified NBCTs will receive the full bonus amount in subsequent years.
- Newly certified NBCTs will receive sixty percent of the challenging school bonus (if eligible) for an amount up to $3,000 for the first year only.
- OSPI shall pay bonuses to districts in the July apportionment of each given year. Districts are required to make all payments to eligible NBCTs no later than their September payroll.