National Board Certification is achieved upon successful completion of a voluntary assessment program designed to recognize effective and accomplished teachers who meet high standards based on what teachers should know and be able to do.
- The Certification process takes between one and three years.
- Candidates complete 10 assessments that are reviewed by trained teachers in their certificate areas.
- The assessments include four portfolio entries that feature teaching practice and six constructed response exercises that assess content knowledge.
- The estimated time commitment is between 200 to 400 hours to complete the certification process.
- Certification is not a guarantee; the national certification rate hovers around 40 percent from year to year.
While the Washington state system of support for National Board Certification means our state rate is higher, there is still a chance that a candidate may go through all three years of candidacy and still not certify with NBPTS. While this is not meant to discourage a teacher or counselor from going through the process, it is important information to have before entering the process.
Guide to National Board Certification
Produced by NBPTS, the guide covers the assessment process, fields of certification, scholarships and rewards, how to apply, and who to contact for more information.
Download guide (1.7 MB)
Among the benefits, National Board Certification offers higher salary potential, strengthens teaching practice, and helps students succeed.
To seek National Board Certification you must meet the following requirements prior to applying:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree
- Have completed three full years of K-12 teaching/counseling experience
- Possess a valid state teaching/counseling license
A nonrefundable $65 processing charge is required when you submit your application. However, your candidacy will not officially start until you submit a nonrefundable $500 initial fee, which will be applied to the $2,500 assessment fee. Once NBPTS receives your application processing charge and $500 initial fee payment, you will be sent a verification packet and portfolio materials.
There are a few options if you need financial support to cover the fees:
Ready to Become a Candidate? Go to the NBPTS Web site to get started!