The Awareness Level Waiver is intended for a very small population of students in 11th and 12th grade for graduation purposes.
These students display the following:
- Limited intentionality and not pre-symbolic1
- May react to environmental stimuli with crying, opening eyes, movement, etc.
- The student provides uncertain responses to sensory stimuli such as sounds/voice, sight, gestures, touch, movement, smell, etc.
- The student’s communicative behavior may reflect their general physical state (hungry, wet, sleepy)
- The student communicates primarily through cries, facial expressions, changes in muscle tone, with no clear use of objects/textures, regularized gestures, pictures, etc.
- Parents and teachers must interpret child’s state from behaviors such as sounds, body movements, and facial expressions.
- May be alert and/or engaged for very limited times during the day and over time.
1 Pre-symbolic: uses objects or gestures to communicate; relies on immediate context to use object to communicate (Expected to participate in state assessment system)
Awareness Waiver Procedures
Awareness Waiver Application
For more information about the state’s Alternate Assessment program, please contact the Alternate Assessment office email@example.com or (360)